Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bite Threshold Model

When people tell me someone FIXED...their aggressive dog...or that their dog stopped GROWLING when I know they used some sort of compulsion or fear based training ...it makes my heart drop.

I think of all the fosters that came to me without a growl...who went straight from a freeze to a bite or hard stare to a lunge, multiple bite..those beautiful polite growls...shocked, yanked (I watched first hand before my body could react fast enough to get the leash out of their hand), squashed...right out of the dog.  And you could see in their eyes..it was just a matter of time before the stars aligned...and a bite or worst was the only predictable outcome.

Reframing the picture for those fosters was on average a 3 wk relationship building journey.  There was no magic pill.

1st week, I call the blank slate.  I don't ask the dog for any behaviour, I just reward what I like profusely, while sneaking in teaching  touch, sniff, and rewarding everytime they look at me  for whatever reason and a couple goofy tricks.  No pressure to walk nicely on leash, I hand feed them, keep all toys away until it's time to play touch the toy with your nose and you get a treat...they don't get to take the toy unless they're 100% not interested in guarding it.  I also have them on a long line dragging in the house incase they get up on furniture so I can happily recall them off safely from a distance.

2nd week, we worked on shadow handling and relaxation, and more play as I found as soon as they understood, nothing ever goes away, they just get something better or do something more fun...their whole bodies just relaxed and softened.  I normally start to see their sense of humour at this time too.  We work more on "what to do' when they're stressed out.

3rd week is just polishing up our routine, adding more tricks and walking skills.



 

I don't even know what it's like to be in the company of a dog without issues they feel the need to ACT on.  Today I saw 3 people with dogs who were as oblivious to the owner as the owner was to the dog, but thankfully the dogs also minded their own business and didn't come after mine for a change.

Anyways...the Bite Threshold Model I think is a super duper easy way for a person to understand that should they "THINK" their quick fix...did the trick...to PLEASE consider that unless it's tested under all predictable and unpredictable circumstances...all you've done is created a time bomb.

I'm a happy go lucky person and I too...have a limit, and if the right triggers align with the stars in succession where I don't have enough time inbetween to collect myself...I too am going to BITE or atleast LOOSE it, and cry or raise my voice or slam doors ....it's unrealistic to think otherwise, afterall no one is perfect.

Here's my two growly beagie- boo's who I love so so very much, it scares me to be without them. 

No comments: