Saturday, January 1, 2011

My turn

 Almost there.
 Hurry up.
Let's go already.
 Sunset.

Don't want to leave.

Daizy n George got to go for their favourite walk this morning, then I headed out with Darrell and Keegan for some x-country in the afternoon.

There were some really not so nice dogs out there today. Let me tell you that MY dogs are no angels...BUT we work hard everyday and they've come light years!!! If only there was a rule that if you can't recall your dog to you in 1 or at the very most 2 times NO MATTER what they're up to...then really, I don't think off leash privileges are fair to dogs who rush others.

Kee did a great job trying to diffuse their posturing, but I can tell when he's had enough. He's true to his herding instinct and is happy to tell another dog off if he's in his face, by barking back at them if they won't let him leave, which I've got to work on.   He had to duck down and around a couple of dogs who were blocking his way, standing there growling and showing their teeth.  A large spaniel and white coiffed poodle. What a witch they were as a team.  I actually yelled to the owners to call their dogs, because they're being rude.

I'm too old to fall into those traps, but Keegan is only 2 and needs to learn that leaving bullies instead of confronting them, is not only the safest thing to do, but in reality, he's letting them know their behaviour is unbecoming.  If they can't be nice, then they'll be lonely.

Anyways, nothing I learn to overcome is ever a waste...if anything it it's just one more trick for my training tickle trunk to share with others.
All in all, the majority of dogs were really fun. Interestingly enough those fun dogs stuck close to their owners, where as the bullies were for the most part no where in the vacinity of their owners.

I also noticed that those irresponsible owners, like Mr. owner of rude who rushed us like a missile, white Shepherd,  didn't even give a "shit" for others who use the trails, to pick up his own dog's poop. 

It was a great day, just wish some would be more considerate of others or leave their dogs at home.  I know that'll never happen...but it doesn't hurt to get the word out there!

Maybe they have an opening for a "dog patrol" :P

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Interesting but not all that surprising. The nicer dogs are obviously well trained and therefore stick to their owners whereas the bully dogs are obviously less trained and don't give a dang where their owners are. It's too bad because I bet a lot of those bully dogs don't have to be that way.

At least you all had a good time and didn't let those meanies spoil a nice afternoon. You attitude is perfect.

Kate and Rob said...

They don't and I know for a fact that they just need to learn a different M.O. That's one of the main reasons I started teaching classes out here. There's a void in awareness about the value in teaching your dog how to be charming rather than a bully.

The tv show where they mention two extremes and a dog is either one or another, do not mention that there is actually an alternative. Somewhere in the middle is a benevolent leader who can diffuse another's insecurity and or teach another dog that being a bully isn't really all it's cracked up to be.

My dogs are not angels, and neither am I, we all have our grumpy days, and get irritated by rude behaviour, human or canine...but the difference is I am well aware of my dog's body language and if I can tell if another dog is going to irritate mine, we've atleast got some cues down pat for me to direct my guys to "let it slide" and don't fall into a trap of thinking they need to bark back at another dog. I just wish there was more awareness out there.