Sunday, April 11, 2010

I love teaching cues like "find it', "take it", and "give"

Using cues like "Find -it", 'Take it" and 'Give" to shape value for an unknown object make the process a whole lot faster.

There's no way I'm going to be able to teach them the name of every single object ...there's just not enough time in the day. What I've come up with and it's just through repetition that it's become a game to play is if I don't name something they know like ball, leash, keys, treats... my guys have learned to scan the area for something that isn't normally there, then "target" it (stand over, nose touch or lie down on it).

1-Find it = start moving... if it's an unknown object, it becomes a shaping game, once one of them has targeted the unusual object, I'll say "yes" so they know to stop and wait for what comes next.

2-Take it = pick it up in your mouth

3-Give = bring it to me and normally... put it in my hand.

You'll be surprised when it comes in handy :)



I said hammer in this video, but really, they would not be able to pick out a hammer among other objects, we're still in the shaping for value mode. It's really for my own benefit that I said the word. If I were to repeat this sequence and continue to use the same word "hammer" they will eventually put two and two together.

No comments: