Saturday, March 13, 2010

Just you and me. 1 on 1 time in a multi-dog home

Daizy is my soul, George my heart and Keegan my sunshine on a rainy day. Together we have so much fun, and I am so lucky that they have really sweet, goofy ways with eachother as well ( mind you we did have little squabbles along the way that have all worked themselves out thanks to Dr. Patricia McConnell's "Feeling Outnumbered"...worth another blog post...)





Anyways, I do spend and make a point of each day, throughout the day take time to connect with each dog, even if it's just for a couple minutes where we're alone.

 I balance it with just being alone and chilling, a belly rub or good scratch or adventuring or something as silly as George and I have this thing where he'll go to a bedroom door and bark once...which I know means he wants to jump on the bed, then I will cover him up with the feather bed and he'll squirm around in it and we'll pay this peek a boo/ monster under the covers, for a couple minutes.

Sometimes I'll hide a toy in my hand or shirt and go into a room,or the yard then have whisper to one of them to come...and we'll take a couple minutes to play without the other dogs around. Or just sit and read and only one snuggle in.

Or go outside for a walk. Or be my co-pilot running errands to the grocery store and share some chips or something on our drive home. It doesn't always have to be a big chunk of time, nor does it have to be at the same time everyday. I find it's much more exciting to do it randomly. They're so perceptive that I wonder if by making it random if this helps avoid jealousy. Hmmm...

Sometimes I let them tell me...at some point in the day, let me know that it's time to do something with them.

I love that about my guys.

1 comment: