Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lost Lake-Whistler showing signs of fall

Lost Lake in Whistler, Daizy's in the water just about to retrieve her ball.


Tired Daisies. Fall is almost here, a new season, complete with its own magic. I can't wait.
Lost Lake looking towards the dog beach. The dock in the background has a ramp, so dogs can walk up and enjoy some rays before swimming back to shore :)
A secret spot the dogs found just off of the main path. This watering hole was a natural jacuzzi, complete with swirling jets of water for your aching muscles and relaxing nature sounds to dissolve your worries.
I loved this picture as it captured Daizy in her true light. She's my workaholic and is very curious. She needs to be in the know of what's going on 24/7. Keegie-boo is in the background. He looks like a fawn. He's so sweet and gentle (and goofy), such a soft soul. I just love them to bits.
Daizy walking the log over the river.
Here Daizy n George entranced by something odiferous.

Have you ever stopped to watch their thought process as they uncover something in the air that stops them in their tracks? Time stands still, nothing else exists.

For them to be able to pinpoint among the symphony of fragrances that fill the air and narrow it down: first to a direction, then to leaves, then strands of grass, finding exactly which one was worthy and most imperative of their time to investigate, I think is an amazing talent. I love watching their expressions. It's interesting to watch them explore.

We spent Sunday hiking at a relaxing pace, not worried about how far we were going, only how much fun we were having. We took the time to stop and enjoy the treasures along the way and I let them goof around when they needed a break from heeling.

We had to share the trail with mountain bikers and other hikers, and being a beautiful afternoon after a couple days of rain, it was busy. Heeling comes easy when you're in a pack. You end up finding a group rhythm and each finds a comfortable position and takes their place. If any of the leads tighten, we stop and wait until the party pooper backs up and leash becomes slack once again. I normally don't say anything at first, I just stand still. Sometimes if they need help, I'll say their name and I'll give them a hand signal to show them where to go. Most of the time, I don't say a word, it's their job once we stop, to check in with me. The more you wait it out, praise, treat, have a party, the second they look back at you when they're learning, the faster they become at checking in with you when you stop so they can get back to the adventure. Key is when they look back, they're looking back at a smiling face, someone happy. I'm sure everyone can attest that it is comforting and makes you feel important, your insides light up, you glow, when someone welcomes you with open arms and a smile. It's like a gravitational pull, you can't resist. I find it's the same with dogs. I've built our relationship on trust (that I would never harm them in any way), love, lots of treats, games, laughter and time spent watching them and their idea bubbles forming. I love watching the mischievous idea bubble forming and heading it off before it comes to fruition. Or sharing a moment where we seem to be thinking the same thing and it's duly noted in one glance.

I'm also aware of their reactions to my tone of voice and their environment. I'm sure they know me better than I know myself as they are masters in interpreting body language. In turn, they are very focused on me, and our team. We all work together to keep our relationship strong, ever evolving and of course have a ton of fun. The more good memories you build of times past, the stronger the bond.

Back to tour guide brain....to me, Whistler is like an outdoor Disneyland. So much to do in such a concentrated space. It's commercially developed for your comfort during your stay. It draws in people from all around the world. I prefer a quieter pace, hence the Lost Lake hike.

While the dogs and I hiked, Darrell got his adrenaline rush downhill mountain biking, pretty much head first, 90 degrees down the ski hill that is. I just have to stop to say, that sport is INSANE.
The stuff they do makes me very scared just thinking about the endless ways one could potentially die a very uncomfortably painful, not so graceful death. I hiked and have to admit it kept my mind off of whether or not Darrell will be in one piece or how many more tattoos (aka: bruises) he ends up with.
I'll have to get pics of his biking insanity.

No comments: